Posted on 07-06-2017
Travel Safe & Smart with Your Pets: Helpful Tips From Our Fairfield Vets
Are you taking a summer holiday this season and planning on bringing your four-legged friends with you? Congratulations--what a fun way to enjoy some family time away! Our veterinarians in Fairfield CA invite you to take a few minutes and read through the following tips on traveling with your pet, to ensure that all your animals are as safe, comfortable, and calm as possible no matter how far the road may take you.
10 Tips for Traveling With Your Pets
- Invest in high-quality travel crates and carriers. Make sure these are clearly labeled with your pet's name and your basic contact information.
- Never, ever, under any circumstances, leave your pets alone in a car! If you do, you run the risk of your pet overheating or being stolen.
- If driving, schedule enough time in your itinerary to take pit stops for your animals. Dogs and cats need to relieve themselves and get a little exercise. Regular rest breaks are also a good opportunity to give your pet fresh water and food.
- Prepare your pet. If your animal isn't used to being in the car, take them on several shorter car rides before the big trip. If your pet is likely to be nervous, ask your vets in Fairfield about medications and other techniques you can use to help keep your animal calm. â€‹
- Pack your pet's bag! Bring all of your pet's necessary medications, food, favorite blankets and toys, and important health information (like allergies).
- Connect with a local animal hospital near your travel destination. Jot down your vet's number and the number of the closest animal hospital in the area to which you be traveling, so you'll be prepared in the event of a veterinary emergency.
- Secure your animal in your car while driving. Unrestrained pets can become seriously injured or even killed in car accidents. Secure your pets in their crates or with vet-approved restraints.
- Flying? Book a direct flight if possible. Also sure you meet with your vets in Fairfield before the trip to ensure you have all the necessary papers to fly with your pet. This includes any pet health certificates that prove your pet is up-to-date on all required vaccinations.
- If you are traveling by plane, train, bus, and/or boat, be sure people know you are traveling with a pet. This way, any staff will be more prepared to help you with any special accommodations or in the event of unexpected travel delays.
- Consider microchipping your pets before your trip. This way, in the event that your pet goes missing, it'll be much easier for you to reconnect if the animal is found and brought to an animal hospital or shelter. Our animal hospital in Fairfield offers international pet microchip services, effective for any distance travel!
Traveling With Your Pets This Summer? Pack Your Bags & Get Ready For For A Fun Trip With Help From Our Vets in Fairfield
To schedule a pet wellness exam, get your pet microchipped, or to obtain pet travel certificates, then call our vets in Fairfield at 707-425-4050. Wanting to get away without bringing your pet along this time? Sunset Animal Hospital is also proud to offer pet boarding in Fairfield, so you can contact us or call us to book a reservation.
Safe travels and happy summer!